31 January 2014

German WWII Vehicles


I have been a bit slow to place my submissions to the Painting Challenge on my blog, but with this post I will be up to date. I believe these are submissions 2 and 4, but it is a little confusing as the fortnight bonus submissions are separate, which I did not realize until the the Vehicle Bonus round. The vehicles are from Armourfast, Plastic Soldier Company and SHQ miniatures. They are either 1/72 or 1/76, but fortunately when I compared a Universal Carrier from SHQ and PSC they appeared to be exactly the same in size.

All primed with BF Late War German primer, works well no complaints with this product, excellent coverage with thin coats. I then airbrushed on some camouflage using a a brown and green Vallejo paints. I must say I find Vallejo paints a real challenge to airbrush, just can not get them thinned properly. I had continued problems with the paints jamming the airbrush, inks are definitely easier to airbrush. I do like how things came out though. I would then paint on the details and apply AP very thinly. The decals would then be applied and the AP reapplied. If I do not do this, the decals will dissolve off.

Sturmhaubitze 42 with designation  Sd.Kfz 142/2 from Armourfast, my local gaming shop did not have the PSC StuG box in stock, so I bought a box of these. There are two models in the box, hard plastic, but a little less robust then the ones from PSC. 
Really very little detail available but a nice enough model. I should have put the MG on from the PSC Sd.Kfz 251 box. It would have been simple enough with the shield that is supplied. This vehicle had a 104 mm howitzer, rather then the 75 mm cannon and was used more in an anti-infantry role then an anti-tank weapon.

Two Kfz70 trucks with a squad of Panzergrenadiers. These are from SHQ and are metal, they are a bit of work to put together  and there is a lot of flash. The trucks though are nice enough and they have an excellent selection. 
Figures are from SHQ as well, the stowage and LMG's are left overs from the PSC Sd.Kfz 251 box.

Kfz 15 car, uncertain utility yet, but I am searching for a Gestapo officer.

Sd.Kfz 251/1. The PSC vehicles are really first class, there is really nothing you can bad say about them, except that you wished they made more vehicles. Really far ahead of metal or resin I have seen.

I was able to jam 8 figures in each vehicle, I will also add a rear LMG to this vehicle as Panzer Grenadier squads were supplied with two LMG's. quite fearsome. 

Sd.Kfz 10/4 with a 2cm FlaK 30, I will be probably using it in an AT role, although it was designed as an AA gun.


A Motorcycle mounted recon team with a LMG mounted on a side car.

The gun is a little big, I am afraid, but it does the job.


Kfz.81 modified from the Kfz.70 for carrying ammunition and..........

...........mounting a FlaK 30 gun

2 comments:

  1. Great work on an interesting mix of vehicles. Can't wait to see them in a CoC AAR down the line!

    ReplyDelete